Principal Scientist, Bioconjugation Chemistry
Generation Bio is a biotechnology company developing a breakthrough class of genetic medicines to enable a new generation of people to live unaffected by inherited disease. The company’s therapies are based on its proprietary ceDNA technology, which delivers durable, high levels of gene expression and can be re-dosed to titrate to effect and to sustain impact over a lifetime.
We are a community of creative problem-solvers and independent thinkers. We are guided by strong personal integrity, humility, and energized by the collaborative, learning mindset required to create solutions for patients and their families.
Generation Bio was founded and launched by Atlas Venture and is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.generationbio.com or follow @lifetimegenetx.
Generation Bio is looking for a Principal Scientist, Bioconjugation Chemistry. This is a newly created role and the Principal Scientist will have an opportunity to contribute to the advancement of new platform technologies, bioconjugation technologies, and pipeline candidates. Specifically, you will drive innovation and optimization related to synthesis, purification and characterization of Generation Bio’s platform technology components. In this role, you will have the opportunity to initiate, direct and execute scientific research aimed at bioconjugation chemistry. You will be immersed in a learning and team-focused environment, where demonstration of an open mind and interest in mastering this new therapeutic space, and close collaboration with fellow team members are keys to your success.
- Lead scientific efforts aimed at the development of synthesis, purification and characterization methods for the diverse complex bioconjugates that are advancing through Generation Bio’s pipeline integrated with the novel discovery platforms developed by Generation Bio.
- Drive the purification of complex bioconjugates by designing protocols, developing and applying both new and established purification techniques and interpreting analytical data
- Plan, prioritize and perform work independently, be self-motivated and capable of working in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Serve as single point of contact for external contract chemistry vendors. Coordinate work-plans and manage execution of plans with external parties.
- Hire and manage research associate(s) as the team expands.
- 8+ years of industrial experience and a Ph.D. degree in synthetic organic chemistry with an established publication record
- Experience includes modern organic synthesis, chromatography and analytical techniques including HPLC, MS, LC/MS NMR.
- Prior experience in handling projects of a multidisciplinary nature involving complex synthesis, mechanistic studies and bio-conjugation chemistry
- Experience in the synthesis and evaluation of nucleic acid conjugates, antibody or peptide conjugates, siRNA or linkers
- Expertise in analytical and purification techniques for bioconjugate chemistry
- Hands-on lab work with experience in managing internal and external efforts in chemistry
POSITION: Full-Time, Exempt
EEOC Statement: Generation Bio believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Generation Bio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.